Sunday, June 2, 2013

Farmers Market Season Begins!

I am beyond excited these days. Finally the weather is cooperating in the Northeast and the warm sun has pushed the coldness away. I planted a couple of things on the patio this week and made my second summer demo appearance. (Chappaqua was a few weeks ago!) Life is good!


Yesterday was the opening of the Hastings Farmers Market. It was steamy and hot, but a lot of fun. Larry joined me for the morning - which is always a plus in my book. He likes to sit under my demo tent and chat with the market-goers passing by, encouraging to have a taste of what I am cooking. (It's very cute!) He also likes to interject bits of information while I'm talking up my dish, like: "tell them how you came up with the idea, it's so interesting."


This past week on my Seasonal Chef blog I wrote about Morels Mushrooms. Since they can be difficult to find I thought I would re-work my original recipe slightly for the demo. What I ended up with was something really delicious that the market-goers enjoyed.


I stopped by the Madura Farm table and picked up some spinach and assorted mushrooms. You can find Madura at many of the Westchester markets. They have lot's of veggies, but their claim to fame are mushrooms ... lots of them, and in all shapes and sizes. For the demo I used Maitake, Shiitake, White Button and Baby Bellas.


The recipe is pretty simple: I sautéed 2 cloves of garlic and one medium shallot. In a little olive oil, with salt and pepper. I then added 2 cups of assorted chopped mushrooms and 4 loose cups of chopped spinach.


Once they veggies were cooked down and a little golden I added in 3 cups of cooked quinoa. Seasoned with a little more oil, salt, pepper and half a lemon squeezed and zested. I love adding lemon to the end of my dishes. It always adds a little brightness and zip.

Cute satisfied taster! 

Next weekend I will be heading off to Gossett's Farmers Market next weekend. If you are near the South Salem area plan on stopping by for a taste! 

Buon Appetito! 



No comments:

Post a Comment